Monday, August 08, 2005


Some people buy a house and they get various kinds of freebees that sort of come with it. Like a filing cabinet in the garage or maybe a lawn mover left in the shed. We got the flower you see above. We actually got several of them. This, as you can see, is an unusual flower. This flower is almost the size of a softball. It has spikes on the leafy parts. It also has jelly-bean-like things squeezing their way out of the body of the flower.

Like a lot of things, this flower makes me wonder what its creator is like. Somehow, the idea that whoever it was that created this flower also decided to try on human flesh and dwell among us does not register very well in my brain. It is incomprehensible for me, but at the same time it is it is as true an idea as any I have ever heard.

Another way of saying this is that the incarnation of the creator makes no sense, but then, neither does any thing else. It is the work of the creator to create reality as well as to make sense of it for us. My own trying to make sense of things is faulty and also futile. Fortunately, I don't have to. I am learning to quit trying. I admit my brain is getting tired and my believer muscle is worn out. Maybe I have been using it way too much.

So, enjoy the flower - the cyber flower, that is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe this flower just says about its creator that God has a wild creativity and a sense of humor??

Bruce S said...

I certainly to get the sense of wild creativity when I look at this flower up close. Other flowers bring a sense of quiet reverence, others awe. But this one is wild alright.

I think that God's sense of humor is best expressed in his invention of the game of golf and his duffers that play it.