Friday, August 12, 2005

A quick post
due to a lack of time this evening. I am requesting help from those who read a lot. At a recent gathering of pre-sems, sems and post sems (seminarians) one of the group, a pastor, lamented that one of his parishioners was reading Joel Osteen's best seller. (Don't know its name). He tried to encourage her to read something more worthwhile. Apparently, this woman doesn't read much of anything but this Osteen book she really liked.

So, here is my request. Please suggest some books for her to read that would be actually beneficial. Remember that Osteen's book is geared for a sixth grade reading level, so whatever you come up with should be of the same reading difficulty.

Thanks.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Osteen's book (Your Best Life Now - I know this because I saw his Crest Whitestrips smile gleeming from our bestseller shelf for several months...) is in the Christian self-helpy genre. For something in that same genre but with a little more substance (and theologically on less shaky ground) try something by John Ortberg (he's the teaching pastor at Willow Creek), specifically The Life You've Always Wanted, or Love Beyond Reason.

Anonymous said...

Anything by Eugene Peterson would be good, especially A Long Obedience in the Same Direction. I am going to use this book as I mentor a student who has been a Christian for about a year now this fall.

Bruce S said...

Thanks, ladies. I knew I could count on you.