Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I am heading
back to school. Eight months off is a long time. The old joke about taking 5 years to thaw out after graduating from a Reformed Seminary is as far off base as ever. I need to hurry back in there before I fall away into permanent perdition.

The class I am about to take is called 'Ministry of the Word'. It is a prereq. class for the entire preaching sequence. So it is mandatory if I ever hope to finish up the M.Div.

If you like you can take a look at the books I will be reading for this class:

Augustine, On Christian Teaching
Richard Baxter, Reformed Pastor
Charles Bridges, Christian Ministry (One of the top 602,176 Amazon sellers!)
Edmund Clowney, Called to the Ministry
Graeme Goldsworthy, Preaching the Whole Bible
Samuel Logan, The Preacher and Preaching
Hughes Old, Guide to the Reformed Tradition
William Perkins, The Art of Prophesying

If and when I latch onto some eye-opening stuff in this class, I assure you, my readers, that you will be the first to know the scoop.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They all look interesting. Have a great semester. Love to you (all)....

Anonymous said...

I was recently listening to a round table discussion on a radio program. During this program the panel was saying that Richard Baxter was a borderline heretic. They did not appear to be joking. Maybe you can validate this assertion.

Bruce S said...

Ah, good! What was that radio program? Who said it? Was there some specific area of his teaching they had issue with?

Anonymous said...

The Whitehorse Inn...Michael Horton, Kim R, Ken Jones and Rod R. I need to listen to the CD again to provide specifics.

Bruce S said...

Gotta hear the details. Horton essentially represents Westminster, so I would be surprised if Horton reckons Baxter a heretic.

Anonymous said...

In the context of discussing unity of the Church. Apparently Baxter had no problems with the Romanist view of salvation and only cited Mariology as a point of contention. They said he was at least an Arminian, however indicated that John Owen equated him with a Socinian. They indicated that many people think becasue he was from the Puritan age that he was sound. However, he was far from it. Apparently, the Reformed Pastor is not meant to refer to being Reformed theologically.