Saturday, September 24, 2005

One of the books
I have to read for my Sem. class is one called The Preacher and Preaching. It has about 15 articles on various aspects of pastoring and being a preacher written by a collection of luminaries in the reformed world. One chapter called "The Preacher and Piety", written by a guy named Erroll Hulse has a paragraph that pretty much blew me out of the water. The paragraph is in a section that deals with pastors that break down and lose their effectiveness or, worse, their entire ministry. Hulse talks about what a lack of self-denial can do.

Here it is: "The practice of self-denial for the Christian means that his feelings, desires and comforts take second place to the Lord's will. Self-denial applies to possessions as well. There is no limit to what can be spent on luxuries such as stereos, furnishings and recreational equipment."

So, reading that I reflected on the $65,000 stereo system I heard in a salon in Point Loma a while back. And said, "there but for the grace of God (and the want of 65Gs) go I." And I feel good about myself knowing that I have a cheap stereo. (OK, two cheap stereos).

I recall the case of the Lord's anointed who didn't bother with the stereo and got himself his own minstrel. It seems he had his troubles that only hearing sweet music day after day could assuage. I can only guess what it would cost me to go and hire the Chicago Symphony (and chorus) to drive the demons out. Mr. Hulse would be proud of my keeping the costs as low as I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep pickin those winners on Sunday and you might get that 65G.

P.S. We lobbied for the Cisco Kid today.