Monday, January 16, 2006

I have been getting
a few complaints about the lack of posting. So, to all my fans that need a fix fixed I give you this:

Immortal, invisible, God only wise,
In light inaccessible hid from our eyes,
Most blessèd, most glorious, the Ancient of Days,
Almighty, victorious, Thy great Name we praise.

Unresting, unhasting, and silent as light,
Nor wanting, nor wasting, Thou rulest in might;
Thy justice, like mountains, high soaring above
Thy clouds, which are fountains of goodness and love.

To all, life Thou givest, to both great and small;
In all life Thou livest, the true life of all;
We blossom and flourish as leaves on the tree,
And wither and perish—but naught changeth Thee.

Great Father of glory, pure Father of light,
Thine angels adore Thee, all veiling their sight;
But of all Thy rich graces this grace, Lord, impart
Take the veil from our faces, the vile from our heart.

All laud we would render; O help us to see
’Tis only the splendor of light hideth Thee,
And so let Thy glory, Almighty, impart,
Through Christ in His story, Thy Christ to the heart.

And let it be known that for about two weeks now, I have gone without reading any of the usual Christian website/blogsites that I have been frequenting steadily for the last several years. It remains to be seen what the psychological effects of that change will be.

Finally, congrats to Deb who played a 120 point word in Scrabble yesterday. I don't expect to see that topped anytime soon!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You failed to mention that even with the 120 point word I still lost that game. And the game before that and the game before that......Who taught you how to play anyway?

Anonymous said...

I used that hymn as the prayer for the noon meal devotions at the Raybrook Nursing Home today. I am trying to picture singing this hymn from the wall. It just doesn't seem to fit. Must be a conservative (liberal) background.

Bruce S said...

Off the wall? I see no problem inherent in singing off the wall. The regulative principle states that the rubrics of worship, even though there are no directions in scripture as to how to regulate them, are free to be formed by whatever is convenient. Hymn books, projectors, braille? It's all good.

My problem with off the wall singing is that the music staff info (in my case I sing the bass line) is not there.

As for reading the hymn as a prayer, did you practice it or in anyway try to get the sing-song-iness out of your reading? I must admit, it does make a great prayer.

Anonymous said...

Well I treated it as a poem, and I did't hear aNy humming as I read it.

Next subject. I associate sing from the wall with "This little light of mine" or similar, but this hymn doesn't seem to fit the paTtern

Bruce S said...

Can you hum and read at the same time? That would be cool.

I sang "This little light of mine" when I was a little kid. Like in 1955, or so. And we didn't sing it off the wall.

Did you know that church architects are designing their sanctuaries with nice big flat wall panels, one on each side, to make 'singing off the wall' the native convenient way of doing things. I guess you must since you saw Crossroad's new building last year, eh?

Boy, you are up late.