Monday, January 02, 2006

Here is a report
on the state of things in SoCal. I can think of only one family member who has not gotten sick in the last two weeks. All the rest of us have got this strange lingering cold/flu thing. I think I was the last one to get it. I am going back to work tomorrow, so it better be a little better by then.

It may be because of the germs, but I realize how burnt out I am on things (I think I have been fighting off germs for 6 weeks). I am seriously thinking of giving up reading on the internet. At least giving up on certain things, like blogs (Christian) that tend to lead one into polemical thinking, arguing, etc. One reason for this is I have only so much time for reading. And I do have a long reading list. But I am tired of being forced to think about things that divert me from that which I actually want to be thinking/meditating about.

Here is a partial list of books that I have queued up to read or finish reading:

City of God - Augustine (forte)
Institutes - Calvin (mezzo forte)
Reformed Dogmatics - Herman Bavinck (forte)*
Kingdom Prologue - Meredith Kline (fortissimo)*
By Oath Consigned - Meredith Kline (fortissimo)
The Schilder Trilogy - Klaas Schilder(fortissimo)
Covenant and Eschatology, the Divine Drama - Michael Horton (re-read)
Lord and Servant A Covenant Christology - Michael Horton (fortissimo)
Christian Origins and the Question of God, Vol 1 and 2 - N. T. Wright (mezzo forte)+

I have a whole bunch that would be mezzo piano if I wanted to get out of my couch and look for them in the bookshelf.

The * indicates books for seminary classes. The + are two books given to me by my sister. I am wrestling with those because of issues about Tom Wright's criticism of imputational justification and his hermeneutics for getting there. They are interesting in that they are the kind of thing that would be helpful for unbelievers who have no sense of history that is 2000 years old (or older). Like my friend Sheldon who has resisted all overtures to believe the gospel. He has a pretty firmed up opinion of things as well as a thorough rejection of the Bible even though he has never read a page of it. I think Tom Wright's writing would open his eyes to the reality of history, (I think Pliny's Letters could accomplish the same thing) at least and the fact that the Bible is not a magic book that just popped into existence one day, in Christian bookstores on the shelf next to the Jeremiah 29:11 coffee cups.

At any rate, devoting two months to reading them is going to be hard given the stuff on the above list. But I probably should for Sheldon's sake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you were able to keep up with internet reading. The only thing I ever read is your blog. I think your plate is full enough with the books you refer to.

I just finished Calvin's Institutes and Early Christian Doctrines (JND Kelly) after 2 years of getting in what I could between school and family.

Now that school is done, for now, I just began reading:

Francis Turretin - Institutes of Elenctic Theology
RC Sproul - Exposition of Romans O Palmer Robertson - The Christ of the Covenants

The two last ones should be finished in a week or so then I plan on reading:

Calvin's Commentary on Genesis
John Owen's The Death of Death in the Death of Christ

Anonymous said...

I take it you will begin another seminary class when school starts up? and will you be reading from the bottom of the list on up?? The amazon.com books (including Horton) that I ordered with your and Rod/Jean's money have not yet arrived, so I have the ones I actually received (from Jenny) under the tree to take to G.R. with me tomorrow. Like a Rushdie novel (Sigh of the Moor) and two Robinson ones (Gilead and Homecoming). Ah, novels.... Both are speaking at the Calvin Festival of Faith and Writing in April, when I hope to give my Rushdie paper (will learn on the 13th if that will be). I am using the Tom Wright commentaries for my devotions. They are super. Whatever germ you have had in S.D. sounds like the one Ellen has....not nice.