Thursday, June 01, 2006

I almost quit
school after a long dry spell in the spring of 2005 (when I sat out a semester). I had to muster a concrete decision to return in the fall of '05. As you know, I did go back. My specific reason for returning was that I wanted to learn of what Jesus referred to on the road to Emmaus when he stated that he was to be found in "Moses and all the prophets". (Also John 5:46).

In the context of how to "preach Christ from all the scriptures" that is exactly what I learned about in the fall class "Ministry of the Word". Little did I expect that that same theme would surface repeatedly in my spring class, Pentateuch. It came about in a little different way though. It became obvious that Jesus Christ is the second Adam. With a job to do. (John 17:4) What that job was is now referred to as His active obedience. This is the righteousness that is imputed to us by faith. Note: Paul wouldn't have been too out of line to refer to Christ as the third Adam. That claim is easy to make based on the well attested idea that Israel itself was a probationary group functioning in a theocracy, as was Adam, with a test to pass. Both failed of course. I guess the reason that Christ was not called the third Adam was because Israel was not really a single individual like Adam and Christ. As such, Israel had a typological role pointing back to the first Adam and forward to the second Adam.

There is a lot of other stuff I learned as well. Maybe next time. I always wondered about how the writer of Hebrews left us hung out to dry by talking about milk and meat. I concluded that meat was nowhere to be found. But that is not the case. The folks at Westminster Seminary have turned up a whole lot of it.

I am going back this fall, Lord willing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job! You're back at it. I was shocked to click on your link and acutally see something new. Hopefully your blogging rate will be a little better than two a month. Love ya, Emily

Anonymous said...

You didn't let us know how the exam went!!

Anonymous said...

I was actually pleasantly surprised to hear Miles McPhearson say that the whole of Scripture is about Christ. I don't know why but this week during a commerical break on my usually talk radio station I tuned into Rock radio.

I can't vouch about this or any other sermons of his are actually focused on the subject though.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Emily; I thought after your long dry spell maybe you quit blogging!

I'm still learning, but my reaction to Theonomy is that it is overzealousness to use all of the scriptures; blow the dust off of the other three books of the Pentateuch, and find a way to use them.