Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Here are ten questions
the likes of which will be on my upcoming Pentateuch midterm.

  1. Describe and evaluate the criteria used in the Documentary Hypothesis for distinguishing the alleged Pentateuchal sources.
  2. Present an historical survey of the literary criticism of the Pentateuch from Wellhausen to the present.
  3. Discuss the interpretation of the chronological data in the Genesis Creation Record (e.g. the various views of the length of the days).
  4. Develop a definition of the Berith (covenant) arrangements in which God was one party, including evidence of ancient Near Eastern treaties.
  5. Discuss the works principle of kingdom inheritance as operative in the covenant of creation.
  6. Discuss the concept of covenantal canon.
  7. Describe and evaluate the modern critical view of the formation of the Old Testament canon.
  8. Present an interpretation of one of the following passages:
    1. Gen 3:8
    2. Gen 3:14-15
    3. Gen 3:21
    4. Gen 1:2
  9. Discuss the relationship of Science to Scripture, i.e., General revelation to Special revelation.
  10. Discuss imago Dei.
Frankly, this scares the crap out of me. Why? Because of how much time it will take to prepare for this. These questions are only representative of what may be on the test. What usually happens is that I, as test taker, will not actually directly address a specific question, unless I actually know what to say. Rather, I will just kind of give a brain dump of material that more or less is tangent to the question. But the real problem is that these questions won't necessarily be on the test. So, all my prep on these questions only will help tangentially.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Seems to me that each of these is worth a library shelf of books of information. How many of the questions do you have to answer in your time period? Your best bet is to have a suscinct summary in mind. In any case, I'm glad it's you and not me. I'll just enjoy reading some commentaries on Genesis....

Bruce S said...

How providential it is that you are studying Genesis right now as well. I think that there might be a total of 5 questions. Some he will want double the output (they will say spend 45 mins. on these 2 and 20 mins. on these three or something).

At least two of these questions I am ready to go on right now. One of those two he already guaranteed would be on the test.The other ones, I am not so ready. I have two weeks.

There is not a one to one correspondence between questions and the most interesting parts of the class. All of it has been great but certain aspects have been riveting. That is not reflected in the questions.

Anthony said...

I like your flower bullets. =)

Bruce S said...

The flower bullets weren't flower bullets when I was writing. I don't know how they morphed.

Anonymous said...

If you feel scared, imagine giving a test like this to an average (yea, even a crackerjack) BBC student!

Bruce S said...

In case you feel that I left you hanging, yes, my midterm is done. I probably stressed way to much over it but, in truth, it could have been worse. We got questions 3 and 5. 3 was verbatim and 5 was essentially the same as above.

The big problem was that about 3 weeks ago he guaranteed us that question 2 would most certainly be on the exam (although in an expanded and more comprehensive form). I was prepared. I had gone out and purchased to extra books on the subject (pentateuchal criticism). Well, after putting almost half my prep time on that topic, it wasn't on the test.

I don't know how tough a grader he is so I can't predict a grade. Probably a B.