Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Gearing up for the
application of intrusion ethics, I interrupt the topic with this famous quote:
"We are full of thanks to God that he, as Lord of history, has given us A)_________, our leader and savior from our difficult lot. We acknowledge that we, with body and soul, are bound and dedicated to the B)___________ and to its C)___________. This bondage and duty contains for us, as evangelical Christians, its deepest and most holy significance in its obedience to the command of God." And its partner quote: "To this turn of history we say a thankful Yes. God has given him to us. To him be the glory. As bound to God's word, we recognize in the great events of our day a new commission of God to His Church."

Your task is to fill in A,B, and C. Hint: A) is a name; B) is an entity; C) is a title.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

A) Aldof Hitler
B) German state
C) Fuhrer

Amazing that this comes up now. We are hosting a bunch of high school students for a month and discussing many topics, but this came up while warning students to be careful about interpreting current events and events in history as "God's good work."

This may go well with Dad's "War and Peace" discussion.

Anonymous said...

Who gave this speech?

Bruce S said...

It was a written, published statement in the early 1930's signed by 600 German pastors and 10 or so German theologians (i.e. probably seminary professors).

Matthew Morizio said...

Thanks for the quote, Bruce. Amazing how blurred biblical distinctions can get...particularly between the two kingdoms. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

My daughter-in-law is pretty smart, or has a good search engine. I didn't have the faintest idea, but sorta thought it might be:
A) George Bush
B) USA
C) president
and if you want my guess who may have said it, it would be
Pat Robertson , or Jerry Falwell

Bruce S said...

I actually googled the quote before posting it. I found nothing. Also, I have been reminded to state that the Hitler response was indeed correct.

Anonymous said...

Shows what I know. My instincts were:
A) Jesus
B) Word
C) Study

Except that 'Study' is not a title, at which point I threw up my hands.